As always we had another great MGS Mom group. This week’s topic was “My Name is More Than Mom”. Some of the moms have talked about losing themselves in the name mom. When asked what they do, they would answer I’m a stay at home mom. When asked about what interest they have it would be kid related. Every conversation would go back to the topic of kids and mom related conversations. How they have lost friends who can’t relate to the life of being a mom.
This topic has been in the air for some time now and many do not know how to verbalize how they feel without it going back to motherhood. Which then makes them feel guilty about bringing it up because that the exact problem.
Well it’s important that you want to take pride in all that you do and want to share in your achievements. As long as we remember that we are more than one defining thing in our lives. As we all spoke it was funny to see prior to kinds each lady could share how she defined herself differently. The different areas that defined them as a woman, wife, sister, daughter, professional and etc. Yet everything changed once children came in the picture.
So as a group we came up with some tools to assist everyone in remembering and maintaining the person they want to see all the time.
- Journaling- this is to help get out emotions that could bring confusion. This can help get clarity in different areas they get caught up in everyday life.
- Date Night- Having a night they take themselves on a date and reconnect with the woman inside.
- Achievements- Acknowledging achievements that happen that are not just kid related.
- Support- Talking with your significant other about how they could assist you so everything is not just on you. (Ex. Chores, conferences, sport activities etc.) Many of my moms are the ones who participated in all the activities which make them in mom mindset all the time.
- Name- Having other people in your close circle address you first and not your children. Also calling you by your name and not saying “So mom how are the kids doing” or “Mom would you like the baby to have one”. Each woman had a name before having the name mom
Each lady intends to continue to amend this list and create positive change for themselves. Mom is just a small part to the bigger picture of life. I look forward to continuing this topic and many more as we look forward to next week group.
If you have questions or comments follow us on Facebook (Link provided below) and share your thoughts. Or join our great MGS Mom group as we journey towards positive change.
Till the next time.
Live, Laugh, Love
T.P.C (The Parent Counselor)
Gail Wilson is a Therapist, Life Coach and Public Speaker in South Florida. Mrs. Wilson works with mothers dealing with postpartum and fathers who have difficulty with transitional changes after a new child. In addition Mrs. Wilson works with individuals, couples and families to find their inner strength and resolve interpersonal and relational conflicts. To schedule an appointment with Mrs. Wilson call (754) 999-0410 or contact by email at Gail@mgscounseling.com